Cant’ get enough of Vigan Empanada? Here’s a simple-to-follow steps in case you want to try cooking empanada at home.
- 1 1/2 cup Rice Flour
- Orange food coloring (optional)
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 tbsp. Oil (for greasing)
- Cooking oil (for frying)
- 1 Grated Green Papaya (blanched & squeezed with salt to extract bitter taste)
- 4 pcs. Vigan Longganisa Sausage Chopped (remove from its casing)
- 1/2 Chopped Onion
- 1 Garlic Clove Finely Chopped
- 6 Eggs
- 1) Mix ingredients in a bowl and knead dough lightly.
- 2) Take about a 2-3 tablespoons of dough and flatten with rolling pin.
- 3) Set aside while you make your filling. Before you make your filling preheat your deep fryer by adding the cooking oil and set aside.
- 1) In another skillet pan saute garlic and onions in oil. Add Longganisa Sausage and season with salt and pepper. Put the cooked sausage in a bowl and mix it a little to cool it down. Wait 2-3 minutes and mix in grated green papaya.
- 2) Spoon out 2-3 tablespoons of filling to flattened dough/wrapper and crack a piece of fresh egg. Seal the sides and deep fry in the preheated deep fryer.
- 3) Place Empanadas in a plate topped with plenty of paper towels to blot oil. Serve hot in another clean platter and with sweet chili dip or garlic vinegar on the side.